Wednesday, May 09, 2007

More map info:

Tweening was mentioned when I gave my presentation. I think the smoothness was accomplished by placing keyframes every 5 frames. I endeavored to make each jump about 100 miles. The idea being that the Vikings could travel about that far in a day. Of course this means ideal conditions. It still seems unlikely but if you go by the directions in the quote below that is what you get - about 100 miles a day. I am not sure that I accomplished it but it was the goal.

This quote comes from page 15 of the Introduction of The Vinland Sagas translated by Magnus Magnusson and Hermann Palsson published by Penguin England 1965:

"It (the following quote) is found in Landnamabok (Book of the Settlements), which describes the settlement of Iceland during the period A.D. 870-930 and was originally compiled in the twelfth century:
'According to learned men, it is seven days' sail from Stad in Norway to Horn in the east of Iceland; and from Snaefellness [on the west coast of Iceland] it is four days' sail to Cape Farewell in Greenland. From Hern Island off Norway, one can sail due west to Cape Farewell, passing north of Shetland close enough to see it clearly in good visibility, and south of the Faroes half-sunk below the horizon, and a day's sail to the south of Iceland.
From Reykjaness in the south of Iceland it is five days' sail to Slyne Head in Ireland.
From Langaness in the north of Iceland it is four days' sail to Jan Mayen Island, at the end of the ocean, and a days' sail from Kolbeins Island [to the north of Iceland] to the uninhabited regions of Greenland.' "

So it would seem somewhere between 50 and 100 miles a day. I am sure this was greatly affected by the direction they were going especially with regard to the prevaling winds and so forth.

Yesterday when posting my resources I inadvertantly left off a map that was very helpful to me when making my map. It is to be found here:

www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/maps/historical/vikings_ireland_851.gif&imgrefurl



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?