Monday, November 20, 2006

GIS day at George Mason University

By the time I was able to get there it was after 2 pm and the presentations were already going on, but out in the common area the vendors were still showing their wares. SAIC had some beautiful littoral maps on display. The area around Staten Island had been chosen, I guess it was really New York Harbor, but I used to live in Staten Island so I focused on the land part. The detail in the map was amazing. There was so much displayed from depths to shipping lanes. The guys behind the display said that they were ESRI based products. That’s wild because none of my ArcView maps look that good. I wished I had asked them how many layers were represented in the map.

The Northrup Grumman folks had a cool display of a chemical spill. It was a dynamic
3-D map. It was not easy to tell where it was, the representative told me it went from Richmond to DC. It didn’t look like it to me, but that’s ok, the thing was still a powerful example of 3-D modeling. There was a crowd around a huge touch screen display that was being demonstrated by another N-G rep that I never did get to see. The crowd was too big and I ran out of time.

The City of Fairfax had a table as well. I thought that was great because that historical website was used in the Geography of Virginia and was a great resource.

All in all it was a good event, although it was rather small. I am glad I went.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?